Using the Common Core in the ELA Classroom
Whether the Common Core Standards are just the latest fad or here to stay, you need lesson plans that address the Common Core Standards. The good news is that they're probably the same standards you've been teaching, but with a different name. Use these links to find lesson plans matched up with the standards.
Types of Essays
Step-by-step instructions for writing different types of essays can be accessed by the following links. Find printable/downloadable lesson plans for these types of essays at Teacher Guide Central.
Short Stories for Teaching the Common Core
Help students did deeper into the meaning of these short stories and satisfy common core requirements. Each guide comes with a brief summary, brief analysis, and lesson ideas. We're adding titles daily, so check back if we don't have what you want. Find complete downloadable and printable annotated short stories and unit plans at Teacher Guide Central.
- "The Most Dangerous Game"
- "The Gift of the Magi"
- "The Necklace"
- "The Interlopers"
- "Masque of the Red Death"
- "The Black Cat"
Poetry for Teaching the Common Core
Being able to analyze poetry is not common but it is part of the common core curriculum. These teacher guides and study guides should help.
- Poems for Teaching Imagery
- Poems for Teaching Metaphors
- Poems for Teaching Meter
- Examples of Rhythm and Meter in Poetry
- Poems for Teaching Onomatopoeia
- Poems with Similes
- Poems for Teaching Sound Devices
- Poems with Examples of Alliteration
- Poems with Personification
- Teaching the Poems of Emily Dickinson
- Teaching the Poems of Carl Sandburg
- Teaching the Poems of Robert Frost
- Teaching the Poems of Shel Silverstein
- Teaching the Poems of Walt Whitman
- Teaching the Poems of Langston Hughes
- Teaching Love Poems
- Teaching Sonnets
- Speed Poetry Analysis
- Study Guide to the Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
- Study Guide to the Poems of Robert Frost
- Study Guide to the Poems of William Blake
- Study Guide to the Poems of John Keats
- A Look at British Romantic Poets
- Study Guide for the Elements of Poetry
- Study Guide for the Poems of John Donne